After speaking to a friend with a Kelpie pup who has just broken her elbow, it frustrates me that the most common prediction from the Vet is that, yes the bones will heal but your dog will suffer an early onset of arthritis in a couple of years. A couple of years! They are probably right but they say it as though it’s inevitable, like there’s nothing that can be done until you have to start administering artificial and man made medications to take away the pain.
It’s really not the sort of thing you want to hear, knowing your 4 legged friend will be constantly suffering from an early age and it starts a real guilt trip if the injury is from something which could have been avoided.
I know the feeling, I’m also waiting for that dreaded day to come, the day you notice the first signs that your dog may be suffering. My Border Collie was struck by a car a couple of years ago, a freak accident but still it could have been avoided and I’ve had the same prediction from the Vet.
Which is why I think it’s important to share this advice about a natural & preventative remedy which could help your dog immensely in near future years to come.
Why I love fish
Salmon, tuna, mackerel and cod. They all stink but taste good and the oil they produce has a whopping number of health benefits for both animal and human.
Sold at Health Food stores, it comes 2 ways, in capsule or liquid form. We’ve only ever had the liquid, it smells disgusting so the dogs love it (not so pleasant for the human to take) and its easy to administer by mixing it in with their dry food.
Health benefits for dogs
- Fish oil seems to reduce the risk of certain cancers. It may also stop the development of cancerous masses on healthy cells, as the oil also is believed to help inhibit unwanted cell growth in the body.
- The oil is high in two Omega 3 fatty acids that assist in brain, nervous system and eyesight function.
- These fatty acids are considered to be highly effective in reducing the risk of arthritis by reducing inflammation.
- There have been studies that Fish Oil is a proven treatment for canine arthritis.
- Helps build up low immunity.
- Relief from dry, itchy skin.
- Soft & shiny coat appearance
- High in Vitamin A
If you have previously or are currently using Fish Oil on your dog/s please write us a comment and tell us about your experience.
Fish oil is a great idea, however, excess amounts of Vitamin A can be toxic so if your pet is eating a complete diet you could overdose. Check your current dog food for Vitamin A dosage before providing fish oil and only administer 1 tablespoon around 2-3 times per week.
All of the above information is only to suggest additional options based on your dogs condition. If you are unsure, please consult your Vet.